Wednesday, August 04, 2004

This Google IPO thing is somewhat interesting.

I'm a bit of a simpleton when it comes to financial matters, but it looks to me like Google's trying to discourage small investors. And for the life of me I can't find a single article talking about this possibility. But everything points to them keeping the little guy out.

One must have an account at a specified brokerage (I think that, an E*Trade customer, I could, if I wanted to). This is a small deterrent. The big one is that they're selling shares for over $100 each. Now obviously, it's stupid to make one's decision based on that, but apparently people are in fact that stupid. I've seen all this criticism of this move, something about how it's too high a number (n.b. if you read the prospectus they're obviously in love with Warren Buffet). Well, yeah it's too high a number if that's what's going to be the deciding factor for you! If so, you're a dumbass, and you shouldn't be setting the market value of the company!

At the same time, the price shouldn't drop. There are going to be lots of people who could have got in if they'd paid just a little more, so presumably if the price drops these people are going to be ready to jump in and buy at the price they wanted.
Like I say, I'm a rube when it comes to all this, but it's interesting.

No comments: