Monday, May 30, 2005

It appears that Cheney was offended by the Amnesty report on Guantanamo Bay. To me, the most important quote is: "For Amnesty International to suggest that somehow the United States is a violator of human rights, I frankly just don't take them seriously."

That's just it. He, and the administration he runs, just doesn't take this seriously. I'm not sure why. I have no doubt that some of the former prisoners are liars. And some are undoubtedly terrorists. But the administration just can't seem to admit the possibility that there has been abuse, and that abuse is torture. But how many stories do we need?

I just can't believe that every single one of these former prisoners is lying. I wish I believed it, for America's sake. But there are too many stories to disbelieve them. I don't share the administration's blind faith that we would never torture. It's not impossible. Do they ever ask themselves "What if we're wrong?"? I don't know.

No comments: