Wednesday, December 01, 2004

This will likely be my last post for a while. I leave for Africa on Saturday. Specifically, Niger, in West Africa. Why Niger? A valid question. My sister was in the Peace Corps there. She came back to here, and then has spent the last six months over there. I've never been.

We'll be spending some time in Parc W ("Park Doo-bl-vey", they speak French over there), some time in my sister's village, and some time in and around Agadez, which is deep in the Sahara. Agadez is near the Air ("A-year") Mountains which, perhaps counterintuitively, appear to be rather solid. (Get it? Air Mountains? Solid? Oh, nevermind.)

It's winter there. Note that the current forcast for Niamey calls for highs in the mid 90s, lows in the mid 60s, and widespread dust. Agadez, in the desert, should be somewhat cooler.

Niger has been relatively safe. No, I'm not going to forward that particular article to my mom, who will be spending the entire time worrying about us.

I'm meeting my dad in Paris and we fly to Niamey. I've already started my anti-malarial Mefloquin and the vivid dreams have started. Last night's was very intense, whatever it was.

No comments: